Fillers Will Fix It: Dark Eye Circle Treatment in SingaporeBeauty
You were able to get some extra sleep, had a cold compress, applied cucumbers and emptied several tubes of concealers yet those dark circles in your eyes just won’t go away.
Dark eye circles can be very bothersome and embarrassing. Especially when you have a business presentation and you don’t have enough time to put on your make up to conceal the dark circles under your eyes! For most of us, dark eye circles can really be a great inconvenience.
If you have had enough of this hassle, then dark eye circle treatment in Singapore may be your best bet. Continue reading this article by Dr Israr Wong, a local aesthetic doctor with a special interest in fillers and thread lifts combination therapy to find out more about dark eye circle treatment in Singapore.
Dark Eye Circles
In Singapore, dark eye circles are very common especially in students, working professionals, and older people. It is characterized by a darkening of the skin below your eyes which make you look tired and haggard all the time.
Causes of Dark Eye Circles
- Genetics – people who inherited darker skin tones have higher chances of getting dark eye circles because of the higher concentration of melanin. If you have dark eye circles since birth, then there is a possibility that it can get worse when you get older.
- Ageing – skin around your eyes gets thinner as you get older. This makes your dark blood vessels more visible. Not to mention the loss of collagen and elastin combined with skin sagging, you can look older than your actual age.
- Fatigue – the skin becomes pale and dark tissues show up when you have a lack of sleep. Oversleeping and stress can also cause dark circles under your eyes.
- Hyperpigmentation – the skin produces more melanin (natural pigment in the skin) due to over-exposure to UV rays. In this case, dark eye circles will be more visible if the over-production of melanin occurs under the eye.
- Lifestyle – unhealthy lifestyle like drinking alcohol or smoking can cause dark circles under the eye. If you are smoking, your face gets dehydrated resulting in the darkening of the skin under the eyes.
- Eye strain – too much exposure to electronic devices can cause your eyes to strain. The blood vessels under your eyes get larger and they become more visible.
Fillers for Dark Eye Circle Treatment in Singapore
Dermal fillers and skin boosters are usually the most recommended treatment for dark eye circles. Some of the brands that are mostly used in Singapore are:
- Restylane Vital Light – it is injected into the skin to hydrates and restores a youthful look. It makes the skin tighter, smoother and restores natural glow.
- Belotero Soft – it is a hyaluronic acid-based injectable that fills wrinkles and folds of the skin to create a volume that makes the skin firm and smooth.
- Teosyal Redensity II – it is the first dermal filler developed for tear trough to treat dark circles, fine lines and deep hollows under the eyes. It rejuvenates the skin because of its amino acid, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants content.
Usually, there are two categories in treating dark eye circles in Singapore:
- Loss of volume resulting in depression or commonly called “tear trough”: this is best treated with Restylane Vital Light, Belotero Soft, Teosyal Redensity II fillers.
- Accumulation of venous blood, pigmentation at the dermal layer: the best treatment for this is fillers like Teosyal Redensity II containing vitamin C and glutathione, or Vitamin C infused monofilament threads.
Dermal Filler Procedure
Step 1 – Assessment
The doctor will do a facial assessment and examine the part of your face to be injected with the fillers. A particular part of your under-eye area will be marked as a guide for injecting the fillers. Photographs may be taken as well.
Step 2 – Cleansing
Your face will be cleansed especially the areas where the fillers will be injected. If your tolerance to pain is low, then you may request for numbing cream or local anaesthesia to be applied to the injection sites.
Step 3 – Injection
The dermal fillers will be injected, and this usually takes 15-45 minutes depending on the areas to be treated. If you choose a combination of dermal fillers, skin boosters and threads, then it might take longer than usual.
Step 4 – Recovery
To manage discomfort and swelling, an ice pack will be applied to the treated areas. Markings will be removed, and you will be advised to refrain from touching, pressing or rubbing the injected area for at least 6 hours after the treatment.
If injected correctly, instant improvement will be visible. However, there will be some swelling that will last 2-3 days after the treatment or a rare case of bruising. The results will last for several months to years depending on the type of the dermal fillers used in dark eye circle treatment:
- Belotero Soft – lasts from 6-12 months
- Teosyal Redensity II – lasts from8-18 months
In every treatment, there are always risks that come with it most especially if the procedure was not carried out properly. Here is a list of possible risks with dark eye circle treatment using dermal fillers:
- Skin rash with itching
- Bleeding at the injection site
- Infection at the injection site
- Possible scarring
- Skin necrosis
These risks will be discussed by your surgeon or aesthetic physician before the procedure. That is why choosing the right doctor is very important because he/she plays a big role in the success of your treatment.
Here are some tips to prevent dark eye circles:
- Reduce stress and get enough sleep: stress increases the appearance of the dark eye circles while getting enough sleep minimizes the discolouration.
- Protect eyes: use sunglasses or wear sunscreen around eyes to prevent dark eye circles.
- Reduce alcohol consumption and stop smoking: too much alcohol consumption and smoking increases the risk of dark eye circles and can speed up ageing.
Fillers for dark eye circle treatment in Singapore costs between $650-$1,200 per syringe depending on the brand and the types used. However, other factors will add up to the cost of the treatment like the doctor’s fee and aftercare medication (if you develop side effects). You can discuss this with your doctor to get an estimate of the total cost of your treatment.
Dr Israr Wong
304 Orchard Road, Lucky Plaza Suites #05-42,
Medical Specialists, Singapore 238863
+65 9735 9930